Sheldonian Theatre Emperor's Head Doorstop

Emperor's Head Doorstop.JPG
Emperor's Head Doorstop.JPG

Sheldonian Theatre Emperor's Head Doorstop

60.00

This doorstop features one of the thirteen Emperor’s Heads outside the entrance to the Sheldonian theatre in Oxford. They were originally known as ‘termini’.  In Classical architecture, the term is used to describe a bust that continues as a square pillar-like form.  The present heads are the third set carved between 1970 and 1972 by Michael Black. The first set lasted 200 years, but by 1868 they were crumbling and new ones were erected.

Height 29cm

Quantity:
Add To Cart